Holiday Hazards

October 23rd 2022
While many people know of some of the most common holiday hazards for pets, such as chocolate, there are many more out there!

Let’s start with food. Fatty foods such as turkey can cause pancreatitis. Corn on the cob can cause stomach or intestinal blockages. Raw dough can also cause blockages and become a dangerous toxin. Onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, chives, chocolate, alcohol, and xylitol (a common sugar replacer) are all toxic to dogs and cats. Don’t forget to keep any chicken or turkey bones away from your pets too! They splinter and can cause internal punctures.

For decorative plants, we have amaryllis, baby’s breath, sweet William, some ferns hydrangeas, mistletoe, holly, poinsettias, lilies, and the oil from pine trees, among many others. Pine trees are also dangerous if their needles are ingested.

And decorations! Candles are a fire hazard if knocked over, while scented ones are toxic to birds. Wires can cause electrocution if chewed. Glass ornaments can shatter if knocked down. Tinsel can cause intestinal blockages if consumed, and batteries can cause chemical burns if chewed.

Finally, we have antifreeze. While this isn’t holiday specific, it is something often overlooked. Antifreeze is extremely dangerous, so keep it out of reach of your pets and don’t let them lick spots on the driveway or road!

This isn’t to say you shouldn’t enjoy the holidays. Look at items from your pet’s point of view. What looks like something fun to knock over or chew on? If you think your pet has ingested something toxic, you can check the Pet Poison Helpline’s list or simply call your vet.

Click to close